Friday, April 16, 2010

Kirsten's Birthday Blog


Kirsten Elizabeth Downs. She made it into this world at 4:43pm on Thursday Feb.29, 1996. Unique birthday for a truly unique child. She was absolutely precious, and a totally wonderful baby. I couldn't have dreamed up a more perfect child for me. Except for ear infections, which plagued her for that first year, she was an easy baby. She'd wake up, and instead of crying, look around, play with her little duck for awhile,and then start to look around, only to notice we were already in the room. As soon as she saw us, she'd give us this huge, beautiful grin. It would melt my heart. She was a rocker, in fact she was rocked until at least the first grade.
It's how she went to sleep. Always singing her the same song, Away In A Manger, all three verses, and if you made a mistake you had to start completely over.

As a preschooler, and even up into her elementary school years, she was a very shy child. She made friends easily, but definitely didn't come up to kids until she knew them. She began coming out of her shell little by little until one day we wondered, "where is our quiet shy child???" Memories of her as a child always flood back when I really think of them. Foxy, her stuffed animal that she could never sleep without, and in fact, still does. (Shhhh, no one is supposed to know) Those sweet baby hands and feet, painting outside with her, reading books everyday while we rocked, watching The Lion King over and over and over again, watching her walk around with at least three pacifiers- one in her left hand, one in her right hand, and one in her mouth... and sometimes one in her pocket, if she had one. Sweet kisses and hugs, and I will always love to hear the word "mom" come out of her mouth. (Well, almost... I'm not so sure I like it when I hear it come out in three syllables... MMMMOOOOOOOMMMM!!) lol. Those are the teenage memories... the way it takes her an HOUR to blow dry her hair, she picks out three outfits a day and then wears something completely different, she tells me her crazy dreams til I'm laughing and saying "ok, enough!!" She rolls her eyes, she sasses me, she makes me crazy... she also inspires me, she still gives me hugs when I need them, TRIES to beat me at Donkey Kong, and makes me laugh out loud with her sense of humor.

She is my first and only child and we have grown as parents as she has grown into a beautiful teenager. I find it so hard to know that in 4 short years my baby will leave and go off to college. (Hopefully... I mean, hopefully she goes off to college, not that she hopefully leaves!lol) These next four years will be about taking the training wheels off and hoping she doesn't fall. I know she'll make it. I have never been so proud of anyone in my life. This year, she went to a new school, a big school, and I was so scared for her. She did wonderful. I think she did better than I did!!! She has suprised me in so many great ways. She has taught me this year when I thought I was teaching her. "Let things roll off your back mom" , "Forgive people... doesn't even matter if they deserve it... everyone deserves it." "When things are hard, that's when it really matters". She has amazed me. More than that, I like this child. Of course I love her, she's my daughter! But I LIKE her. She makes me laugh, she makes me roll my eyes, she makes me throw my hands up in the air and scream... UNCLE, she's smart, and she's mine.

I'll leave you with the story I used to tell her every night before she went to bed while she rocked... right before the "Away in a Manger" song. If I could go to heaven and pick any baby to be mine, I'd search and search and search until I found you. I'd wait in long lines, I'd do chores for Jesus, and I'd stand on my head til He led me straight to you! (ok, come on, she was little and she liked it!)And it's true.

I love you Kirdy Birdy. I am so proud of you. You are such a special, person. I don't know what I did to deserve you, but I thank God everyday He let me borrow you. I hope you had a happy birthday. I hope you have many, many more.

Love you Birdie.
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment