Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mom's Birthday/Mother's Day Blog




Delores Ann Evans. She came into this world on March 13, 1946. I can only imagine how she was as a child, as a teen, as a young adult. I look at all the pictures and see the same amazing smile that I've grown up with. I imagine she was a pretty mischevious child... she fell out of an upstairs window when she was 2. She was not even sent to the hospital, although I gave my grandmother a particularly hard time about this, I think she fell on her head so there wasn't much to worry about. (Just kidding mom!!) ;) I wish I could have known her as she was growing up, I bet we would have gotten in a lot of troule together.

My mother is amazing. Truly lots of people think so. I think she's amazing but for probably different reasons than most. My mother is a master piano player. She is a great friend, totally reliable, always laughing, generous to a fault, (she'd give you the shirt off her back if she thought you needed it) and is truly funny. These are the things that people can readily see about my mother. And they are wonderful things, but there is so much more that I am proud of her for.

Life has not always been easy for my mom. I won't speak of other things, but I will speak about me. Mom and I had a rocky relationship as a teen. Lots of moms and teens do. But, you grow up and you become a mom and things become clearer than they once were. You do the best you can with what you are given. (As in me) We both did some things back then we wish we could redo. But the great thing is, our relationship totally flourished from it. Both of our friends probably gasp when they hear that we live only two doors away from each other, but it has truly been a blessing. The best thing I could have ever hoped for. (I'm not just saying that b/c this year she decided to bond with Kirsten by taking her to school each morning) Whoooooo hoooo. But it is a nice perk! lol.

No matter what was going on with my mom and I, I always knew that she loved me and cared about me. As I got older I really relied on my mom. When Kirsten was born, she came and stayed with me for two weeks... I don't know what I would have done without her. When Mark and I were first married, she helped us out with everything, even financially... I don't know where we would have been without her then. When I get sick, like when my appendix had to be taken out, the first person I still want is my mom. (Mark rolls his eyes when I'm in the emergency room telling him to hurry up and call my mommy!!!) There's just no one else who will do. When she had her stroke this last summer, I really thought I was going to lose her. I was lost. Usually I'm so good in a crisis. I was just in shock. If I lost her, I would be lost. I didn't know what to do... so I just prayed, and thanks to the good Lord above, he spared her, good as new.

But, back to my original start... the specific reasons I am so proud of my mother. My mother is stronger than she knows. She's vulnerable, not as thick skinned as people think she is... but this is one tough lady. She has survived lots of not so great things and come out on the other side, beautiful, poised, stronger than she thinks, and with a doo that can not be undone. (I'm talkin' hair here people.) Ask her about her hair in the tornado. She has really come into her own here. I like that. Words cannot express how much I love my mother, nor how much she means to me. But I hope that you know, I will always be here for you. I am so grateful that you are my mother. God knew just what he was doing when he picked you for me.

I love you mom! Thanks for everything you do for me and my family. And more than that, thank you for just being you, and for raising me to be the woman I am. Strong, independent, funny, vulnerable, and willing to give someone the shirt off my back. Just like you.

I love you mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment