Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Everyone's Ok... except maybe Betsy.


Everyone’s Ok.

 

I get a call around 6:15 from my daughter. I know the call is from my daughter b/c her ringtone is that of Stewie from the Family Guy… Mom, Mommy, Ma, Mama, Mom… so I pick up the phone figuring she is going to ask me if she can stay later at Harrison’s. I’m unthrilled and ready for a conversation I’d probably rather not have. Instead, I hear high pitched screaming I cannot understand. I think it might be a humpback whale… but how would it have my number???

Seriously, I go into that uber, freaked out mommy mode where you think your child is possibly hurt or dying. “I can’t understand you”, I scream over the shrieking. “Are you ok??? Kirsten, are you ok???” I’m beginning to hear words and sobbing but still can’t understand anything I can decipher as actual language.  I do eventually catch, “I’ve been in an accident” over and over during this… which is not calming me down any. After what seemed like forever, (which I’m sure was no more than about one minute) where I’m frantically putting on shoes and searching for my phone. (Oh ya, I’m on it.) I get that she has hit a tree while backing up out of Harrison’s driveway and she is ok, but the car (Betsy) has a dent in the back. I’m instantly relieved, and my heart is now coming down from 300bpm to at least 295bpm. “Are you hurt anywhere? Do you need me to come get you? Are you able to drive??”

There is a pause, “Yes mom… but there’s a dent in Betsy.”

“It’s ok Kirsten. Come home. Be careful. And by the way… God forbid you ever have any other kind of wreck EVER, the first thing to come out of your mouth should always be…

 

Everyone’s OK!!!!!!

Thank you Lord for letting my daughter not be hurt. And um, please don’t let this be a sign of how this year is going to go. Gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment