Tuesday, October 5, 2010

To my sweet friend...You're my family.

I can't sleep tonight. I don't know why some nights the sleep just alludes me altogether. I'll pay for it tomorrow, vow to take an ambien, a tylenol pm, not drink caffiene, or to make myself do something I really don't want to do, so I'll want to sleep. But, tonight... all I can think about is my friend.

I got a call from a close friend of mine two days ago. She was in distress about family issues. Things weren't going well, hadn't been for awhile... and she didn't know what to do. After all, they were her family. I listened to her, cried with her, and then gave her the only advice I had, if you can call it advice. I said, "What do you want to do?" and "What can be done?" Everyone has family problems, no ones family is any less than dysfunctional. But, do you allow someone to keep hurting you strictly b/c they are your family? I don't have the answer to that question. I did tell her this though... The term family is subjective. I believe family are people who love you, your spouse, and your children. Family is involved in your life, in good times and bad. Family won't buy into the awful things people say about you, will in fact, come to you and ask you about them. Family has been there for you in the past, is there for you in the present, and you know will be there for you in your future. Blood, is not a criteria to being family. (Ask anyone who's adopted) Family, can be your spouse and children, your blood relatives, your in-laws, your closest friends, your church family, or anyone else in your life you can count on and can count on you. Unfortunately, we as people hurt each other each and every day. Even when we have the best of intentions. So, when there is conflict... is it possible to make it work? I guess that is up to the individual and the problems that have arose. Family has the potential to nurture and uplift, or to alienate and destroy.

To my sweet friend, you have always been there for me, and I will always be there for you. Even though I don't stay in touch like I should, you can call me anytime day or night and I will be there for you. To put it bluntly, (and you know how I love to be blunt) "this is gonna suck." But things will get better. I won't promise you they will turn out like you would like them to, but they will turn out the way they are supposed to.

Love,
Someone In Your Family. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment