Saturday, January 30, 2010

Kim Henry's Belated Birthday Blog


Kim Henry.

I met my friend Kim twenty years ago. Jean short overalls, huge hair, drink in hand and a personality larger than life. The night we met was a bad one for me, and she helped me, which would start a pattern for us that would turn out to be our saving grace for years to come. I know that meeting her that night, I thought she was much older than me(at least 21) beautiful and completely wild. After that night, I have no recollection about how we got together again... I just know that after that night, we were together nonstop. She became my roommate, my sister, my confidant, my thorn in my side, my co-conspirator, my spades partner, and my biggest advocate. Life was not terribly great for either of us at that point and we clung to each other like family. She WAS/IS my family. Only real family, can see you at your VERY worst, your darkest moments, your most horrible hurts, and love you anyway. No judgments cast, no grudges held, just acceptance and a commitment to trying to ease as much pain as possible.

Now, we were young, so there were MANY escapades. I mean, our ways of coping then and our ways of coping now, are very different. (But not nearly as fun!) My friend, Kim Henry, can work three jobs at once, throw a wicked, 21st surprise birthday party for me, cheat at cards with her toes, comfort me when I'm at my end, yell at me when I'm at my worst, do crafts (she can make a bong out of a two liter, and some tinfoil!) stand in a tube going down the river, waterski behind a fishing boat, hide in the trunk of my car to catch her boyfriend doing something he's not supposed to, be the life of the party, make me want to protect her and punch her out all in the same night, teach me how to do laundry, drink ANY man under the table, play a mean game of pool, and do all of it, with the toughness of a cowboy and the vulnerability of a child.

I got married and had a child, and we moved into different circles. We don't keep in touch like we should all the time, and we know it. We've become adults. Adults with children and husbands and busy lives. But we try. I'm horrible at calling people back, or cleaning out voice messages so someone can leave me a message (don't start yelling at me again) and she's busy with two small children, a man at home and a job that she's terrific at. But I want her to know, that I haven't forgotten what she has done for me and meant to me over the years. And although, we don't get together like we should, I cherish the times we do. I'm so happy for her. I see a happiness in her that certainly wasn"t there 20 years ago. She seems content. The wildness is still there, but the storm underneath has calmed, the water serene, some of the hurts replaced with the good things that have happened, not forgotten, but not so close to the shore anymore.

I miss you dear friend. You have meant the world to me, and still do... even though I'm horrible at showing it. I hope you had a great birthday. I hope you have many great birthdays to come. I swear I'm gonna take you out for lunch... we just have to find the right time! Don't expect a card... I'm literally going into sugar shock from the sweetness of this blog! lol. You know it kills me to be sweet for too long...

So... I'm gonna call you. I promise. I'm gonna do it now... except... I can't find my phone.

Love you. Happy Birthday!

(By the way... LOVE the hair in that picture!!!)

1 comment: